Thursday, May 24, 2007
While I was out...
I've been not-blogging (my own, very lazy, response to cat-blogging, mo-blogging, vid-blogging and of course weird-sex-blogging) for some time now. It comes as some surprise to me to see that quite a few things happened on the internet in my absence.
- Bloggers blitzed biomes across the world and found any number of cool things. A similar, but unrelated, event found a whole new species of weta in Otari bush, right in the middle of suburban Wellington
- Even cooler than a new weta, a fossil bed in central otago that had already allowled us to glimpse a New Zealand covered by Protea and Eucalyptus and populated by snakes and crocodiles gave us the first evidence of a terrestrial mammal in Aoteoroa 'Kingdom of Birds'.
- I became a for real, published scientist. More to come on that one.
- Paul Litterick and the Rationalists parted ways citing creative differences. Thankfully Paul has continued the Fundypost as a solo project. The new 'post draws on artistic, new wave and post punk influences to arrive at its own voice and is sure to become a cult classic.
- Harvest Bird comments at the Fundypost. She also teaches, links to cool things, writes rather well, and has puppies, so that's nice.
- Coturnix (question for biologists - do you italicise a Genus' name when the word not is being used to talk about the genus in question?) has continued to blog a mile a minute, even keeping track of impossibly protracted argument about framing science and getting a book published. And just today he got a job for all his hard work!. Congratulations Bora, it's hard to imagine someone better equipped to do it.
- Afarensis has started a neat series on posts on the experiments of Charles Darwin, can't wait till he gets up to the worm book
- I discovered xkcd (and read the whole archive in the same day)
I imagine quite a few other things happened and that if I wrote this post on any other day it would be quite different. Anyway, since all the cool kids are including videos at the end of their posts a these days and it is NZ music month, here are Cut of Your Hands (formerly known as shaky hands) with Expectations (and balloons):