The Atavism

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sunday Spinelessness - A darkling beetle

Life continues to be busy down here in Dunedin, so this will have to be another Sunday marked by a quick photo-heavy look into the world of the spineless. I don't pretend to be a great photographer, but I do get a lot of pleasure from recording the small creatures I come across. One of the real joys of bug photography is the way even a rank amateur like me can find something that wasn't obvious at first glance. Take this darkling beetle (tenebrionid) I found the other day. An interesting enough beetle...

   

 ...but it wasn't until I'd seen the photos that I notice those neat compound eyes, it's as id I'd found a trilobite 
in my garden!

 

Labels: , , ,

Posted by David Winter 8:11 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment