The Atavism

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sunday Spinelessness - action sequence

s Lately I've been trying to get some photos of the wolf spiders that scurry about in the bark chips we use as mulch on our garden. Unfortunately those guys are camera shy, really fast and pretty well camouflaged so I don't have any photos of them worth sharing with you but it's amazing what you see when you sit down and wait for a little while. It turns out I'm not the only one keen on our garden's spiders, while I was failing to photograph them a solitary wasp (as opposed to a social one, though there was also just one of them) had gone into the garden to find a suitable host for its larvae and got itself into a lot of trouble - it was crawling out with a worker ant (possibly the endemic species Monomorium antarcticum) attached to its hind leg.

I don't know how this inter-hymenopteran struggle finished, the wasp dragged the ant back into the depths of the garden - but I didn't see anything to suggest the ant was going to let go of that leg. I managed to get a few shots of these guys in action which you can see below (There are higher resolution versions of these images here)

Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

Labels: , , , ,

Posted by David Winter 8:32 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment